To connect, email
Monika Buscher (SoRA)
Malé Luján Escalante (Ethics through Design)
Luke Moffat (Ethics through Design)
WHO WE ARE
Malé Luján Escalante
Arianna Schuler-Scott Senior Editor
Service Design Collaborator
Cronan Cronshaw Senior Editor
Lead Service Designer
Media & Communications Intern
WHO WE ARE
IsITethical is an initiative which gathers practitioners, researchers, commercial developers, and policymakers interested in driving responsible innovation with digital ethics and attention to societal readiness.
We are focused on Disaster Risk Management (DRM) and mitigation and adaptation to climate change through innovation, especially in public safety communications and transport, and health.
Our collaboration emerged from different EU Research projects (including SecInCore, EPISECC, COncORDE, BRIDGE) and with the support of the UK Higher Innovation Fund and Lancaster University.
Since the beginning, Public Safety Communication Europe (PSCE) has supported the IsITethical platform.
The isITethical? Exchange is growing through collaboration between three partners:
The Centre for Mobilities Research, Department of Sociology, Lancaster University (CeMoRe)
The Public Safety Communications Europe Network (PSCE)
London College of Communication, University of the Arts London
IsITethical is directed by Monika Buscher and Malé Luján Escalante, who lead a group of scholars, experts, and designers in the production of content and services.
WHAT WE DO
IsITethical develops resources on digital ethics and societal readiness assessment for responsible innovation.
- a Societal Readiness Assessment (SoRA) framework and resources
- Key Terms - an overview of ethical, legal, and social issues arising in the context of ICT innovation in disaster risk management and guidance on balancing technological potential with fundamental rights and values;
- inspiration for design and organisational change that places human rights, values, and practices at the centre of innovation;
- links to relevant resources such as creative novel methods for iterative ethical impact and privacy impact assessment.
We have long-standing experience in interdisciplinary research which explores:
- societal readiness of innovations;
- interoperability and collaborative information management in disaster risk management;
- methodologies for digital ethics and societal readiness assessment.
Our work combines a set of resources and services for high-quality responsible research and innovation for continued professional development, including:
- Key Terms for digital ethics;
- A Societal Readiness Assessment tool for innovations in decarbonising transport (beta) - please contact Monika Buscher to test
- A table-top exercise game to explore digital ethics in public safety communications