Malé Luján Escalante
Lina Jasmontaite Editor
WHO WE ARE
IsITethical is an initiative which gathers a growing community of practitioners, researchers, commercial developers, and policymakers interested in driving responsible innovation with digital ethics.
We are focused on the field of Disaster Risk Management (DRM), but are also looking towards innovation in health, transport, leisure, and everyday life.
Our collaboration was born thanks to collaborations between various partners involved in different EU Research projects (including SecInCore, EPISECC, SECTOR, REDIRNET, COncORDE, BRIDGE) and with the support of the UK Higher Innovation Fund and Lancaster University.
Since the beginning, Public Safety Communication Europe (PSCE) has supported the IsITethical platform and continuous update of the initiative.
The isITethical? Exchange is growing through collaboration between three partners:
The Public Safety Communications Europe Network (PSCE)
IsITethical t is directed by Monika Buscher and Malé Luján Escalante, who lead a group of scholars, experts, and designers in the production of content and services.
WHAT WE DO
The IsITethical initiative develops a digital ethics for responsible Information and communications technology (ICT) research and innovation in Disasters and Risk Management (DRM).
- an overview of ethical, legal, and social issues arising in the context of ICT innovation in disaster risk management guidance on balancing technological potential with fundamental rights and values;
- summaries of relevant aspects of regulatory frameworks, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR);
- inspiration for design and organisational change that places human rights, values, and practices at the centre of innovation;
- links to relevant resources such as creative novel methods for iterative ethical impact and privacy impact assessment.
Our work is based on interdisciplinary research which explores:
- interoperability and collaborative information management;
- extensive collaboration with practitioners in Public protection and disaster risk (PPDR) and with ICT developers;
- foundational work in shaping a digital ethics and good practices of ethical and privacy impact assessment;
- long-standing experience in interdisciplinary collaborative design projects.
Our work combines:
- a set of services for high-quality responsible research and innovation in the frame of continued professional development;
- an online community portal with a table-top exercise in the form of a board game;
- The IsITethical table-top game.